Waitrose is lowering the prices of over 200 of its most popular private brand products by an average of more than 15%. The cuts quickly follow the John Lewis Partnership’s Plan, which pledged to give affordable quality to customers. The price reductions will apply to a range of everyday items, from meat to fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as cleaning products.
The price cuts will be accompanied by a new marketing campaign throughout Waitrose stores and on Waitrose.com, communicating the lower prices to customers.
Around half the prices being reduced will be from the Essential Waitrose range – renowned for offering value without compromise. The range has seen a sales uplift of nearly 10 per cent during lockdown.
They include fresh and prepared chicken, which is 100% British and from higher welfare farms, and pork from outdoor bred pigs.
Examples of the new lower prices include:
- Essential Waitrose Thin Pork Loin Steaks – was £5, now £2.50
- Waitrose Aberdeen Angus Beef Mince 15% Fat – was £4, now £3.25
- Essential Waitrose Pure Clear Honey – was £2.25, now £1.60
- Essential Waitrose Frozen Whole Leaf Spinach – was £1.60, now £1.20
- Waitrose Fairtrade Gold Tea 160s – was £4.00, now £3.00
- Essential Waitrose Non Bio Liquid, 960ml – was £3.25, now £2.50
James Bailey, Executive Director at Waitrose, said: “This year has been incredibly challenging for consumers and we know times are tough for many, so we’re reducing prices to provide our customers with great value on the items they buy most.
“Despite offering lower prices – we’re maintaining the quality, high welfare and ethical sourcing that we’re renowned for, so shoppers can spend less without compromising on what they value.”