Our Proprietary Brands team focuses on building brands that are exclusive to PetSmart and that pet parents and pets love. Our team partners with product development, merchandising, product design, product integrity and global sourcing to bring the brand essence to life in product form. The Brand Director plays a critical role in developing brand strategy and innovation to drive sales and customer loyalty.
About the Job
This position is responsible for developing and overseeing PetSmart’s growing private brands portfolio with the goal of driving customer loyalty, increase profitability and sales. This position has responsibility for sales in excess of 100 million dollars. In this role, you will be responsible for day to day execution of the various proprietary brands, including researching/interpreting trends and consumer interests/needs that uphold the integrity of the company’s propriety brands and proactively mining data to support recommendations. Key to the success of proprietary brands this role will ensure brands are actively managed within a set of predetermined guard rails and take maximum advantage of trends to drive trial and repeat, while also helping meet internal PetSmart business objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Develops a long-term brand roadmap plan and monetizes market trends.
- Understand (deeply) the categories in which the brands being managed compete – financially, at retail, and in the eyes of the consumer.
- Develop product concepts to ensure the brand guard rails, attributes, and areas of opportunity are defined.
- Initiate Product Claim development to create a pipeline of new products that drive trail and relevancy.
- Manages packaging development to create and lead packaging substrate and form innovation.
- Define Proprietary Brands’ cost and margin targets and lead the vendor bid process.
- Lead cross-functional teams, including collaboration with Buying and MP&A teams and manage project timelines and key Product Development and Design partners.
- Develops work goals and objectives for the department in accordance and alignment with company goals; provides leadership, measures and feedback, and motivation for staff achievement of departmental goals.
- Builds relationships and initiates processes with internal and external partners that facilitate cross-functional synergy and collaboration.
- Develops and implements best practice processes and procedures for the team and the department – you’ll be part of helping to build an organization from the ground up!.
- Prioritizes all brand development projects while considering the overall needs of the organization and ensuring optimum utilization of available resources for timely development and introduction.
- Continuously monitors customer and competitive intelligence and aids in the development of business opportunities.
- Works closely with Buying, Product Development, Product Design, and Packaging Design.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Brand Management / Product Development / Merchandising or related field. Requires proficiency typically obtained with 5+ years’ experience including 2+ years of demonstrated leadership in branding, development, merchandising, and/or buying. * Private label brand experience within a Retailer is a plus.
Requires a creative and strategic results-oriented leader with strong strategic thinking, planning, and analytical skills. Must have integrity and be dedicated to the principles of developing a strong collaborative team-based organization. Superior financial and business acumen is essential, and a highly credible management presence is necessary. Other attributes include:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong analytical skills, leveraging both in-house and 3rdparty data sources to support recommendations.
- Strong strategy chops, with the ability to envision what’s possible while executing the here and now flawlessly.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize with a high sense of urgency.
- Possess the ability to connect with the merchandising organization and be able to convert opportunities into practical business strategies
- A proven leader with self-confidence, and a solid track record of accomplishments in challenging environments.
- Proactive thinker and doer – anticipate issues before they arise, has a strong pride of ownership to see projects through end to end.
- Strong project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead an organization through growth or transitions without losing momentum or focus on key business drivers.
- Good listening skills and ability to be effective in working with all levels of the organization.
- Position requires some travel (up to 25%).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
About the Culture
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet-friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities