MPB Careers: UNFI – Brands Marketing Director
United States of America, Rhode Island, Providence
This position can be based in Providence, RI or Eden Prairie, MN
The Director Brand Marketing will lead a team that lays out the brand strategy for the entire portfolio of both private label and CBPG brands ($1B+). As a key marketing leader, the incumbent will lead brand strategies that are driven by consumer insights and trends for both short-term and long-term growth. This role collaborates regularly with leaders across the Brands+ Marketing & Insights and Innovations and Brands Marketing & Communications teams. He/she will help direct marketing, communication, new products and sales by collaborating with strong cross-functional teams in the Brands+ Deliver and Engagement organizations. The role is critical in laying the roadmap for each brand holistically for the entire lifecycle.
- Leads Top 8 Plans (Brands+ portfolio) laddering to long-term Path to $2B.
- Develops strategic short-term and long-term goals for all aspects of the brand from consumer segmentation to products/category permissions to sales and marketing opportunities.
- Works with the VP to evaluate and form brand strategies in line with portfolio objectives and manages brand lifecycle.
- Develops brand marketing strategies and tactics in collaboration with the Director Consumer Insights, Director Competitive Intelligence, and Director Innovation for the Think team.
- Develops traditional brand architectures, guidelines, and permissions for the entire company to understand and follow, including creative, marketing, and digital teams
- Delivers and presents regular business reviews, including monitoring performance and profitability by brand and category.
- Collaborates, sets, and monitors brand KPIs on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis for brands to track results, measure success, and provide recommendations going forward with the Sr. Director Brand Engagement.
- Collaborates sets and monitors 2-year new product pipeline including line extensions (category expanders), emerging categories and frontier innovation in partnership with Product Development and Product Business Management leadership.
- Work with the sales team on sales support materials, training and customer-specific programs to help position the brands to win.
- Works with the Director Finance and other budget collaborators to develop annual brand/category gross sales budgets that drive growth as a portfolio to the top and bottom lines.
- Works with the Sales Operations and Promotions teams to influence brand promotion and pricing strategies.
- Collaborates and works cross-functionally with leadership in Brands+.
- Manages the day-to-day activities of the team, establishing priorities, processes and timelines.
- Provides training and coaching to staff to support ongoing growth and development.
Education/ Certifications: (Required & Preferred)
- BA degree in Marketing, Economics, Communications or related field, or equivalent training and experience
- MBA preferred
- 10-15+ years of marketing, strategy experience
- Experience in food preferred (i.e., CPG, grocery, wholesale or restaurant business or brands)
- Proven experience turning ideas into action and working across all levels of an organization (i.e., senior leaders to analysts) Public company experience strongly preferred
- Strong leadership ability and experience developing and leading marketing professionals
- Prior P&L owner with proven ability to deliver results preferred
- Experience in building strategies using known frameworks, segmentation and insights for short-term and long-term (multi-year)
- Leadership in new product pipelines using insights to identify concepts to bring to market
- Proven track record of leading cross-functional teams to deliver plans, strategies and communications that deliver sales/impact
- Experience developing and implementing marketing campaigns with a combination of internal/agency resources
- Proven ability to leverage consumer insights to develop brand positionings and engagement campaigns/assets
- Ability to understand and think strategically
- Ability to execute plans and programs that drive profitable sales
- Experience integrating and balancing big-picture concerns with day-to-day activities
- Evaluates and pursues initiatives, investments and opportunities based on their fit with broader strategies
- Promotes teamwork and discourages “we vs. they” thinking – works to remove barriers to collaboration
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment across all levels throughout the organization
- Can thrive in a complicated, fast-paced matrix environment
- Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports innovation
- Leverages perspectives, breakthrough ideas, and new paradigms to create value in the market
- Some travel may be required
- Most work is performed in a temperature-controlled office environment
- Incumbent may sit for long periods of time at desk or computer terminal
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear.
- Incumbent may use calculators, keyboards, telephone and other office equipment in the course of a normal workday
- Stooping, bending, twisting and reaching may be required in the completion of job duties
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. UNFI is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating an inclusive and respectful environment for all. – M/F/Veteran/Disability. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.