The Product Engineering Senior Director will be responsible for managing and interfacing with global manufacturers and global contract designers in order to drive engineering for the private brand products. This will include setting requirements, specifications, and testing protocols for new products, re-engineering programs, and New Product Introductions. In addition to leading and managing a large team this person will also develop and validate factory and product assessments, tests, and inspections in coordination with suppliers, foreign sourcing offices, and service providers. Ensure optimal execution of process controls for The Home Depot and related companies so that factories used and products manufactured meet or exceed product specifications and relevant national, state, and local laws. Monitor the implementation of continuous improvement / corrective/preventive action plans throughout each process. Manage the two global labs to efficiently execute testing as needed.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities & Key Accountabilities:
- 40% Develop Standard Operating Procedures, reporting, metrics, and audit controls to support both product reengineering and new product introduction in order to manage business growth targets on time.
- 15% Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis of people, processes, and data. Develop and manage functional responsibilities of service providers, foreign sourcing offices, and internal resources.
- 15% Define technical requirements associated with factory and product specifications. Perform assessment, testing, and inspection of factories and products against standards of performance. Identify and implement best practices based on industry knowledge and best practices
- 15% Review and resolve issues with suppliers, factories, service providers, merchandising, store operations, distribution, safety, customers, and other related supply chain components.
- 15% Select, direct, develop and discipline team members. Coach and mentor employees providing ongoing performance feedback. Provide guidance, set priorities and assist direct reports with assigned tasks. Ensure both recognition & accountability are part of the culture.
Nature and Scope:
Typically reports to VP Product and Engineering Number of Direct Reports – 4 to 5 Accountable for direct supervision of the work activities of others. In addition to personnel issues – including selection, termination, performance appraisal and professional development of subordinates.
Environmental Job Requirements:
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel 5% to 20% of the time.
Standard Minimum Qualifications:
Must be eighteen years of age or older. Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor’s degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Work Experience Required: 10 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about.
On rare occasions, there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
Manufacturing / Operations / Quality Assurance / Quality Control
- Bachelors degree in engineering, management, operations, or business
- International operations experience, supported by foreign language skills (oral and written)
- Personnel management experience in a manufacturing or engineering environment
- Continuous improvement program development and execution (e.g., Six Sigma or Lean Manufacturing)
- Computer skills sufficient to retrieve, manipulate, analyze, and interpret data
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies:
- Executive communication skills – Strong written and verbal communication skills required; ability to persuade or influence others; ability to present and interpret information to promote action and decision-making.
- Capable of simplifying and presenting complex information with ease, utilizing the correct communication vehicle.
- Prepares and delivers clear well-organized presentations, has a polished delivery style, and creates high-impact analysis and associated visual aids.
- Experience with strategic planning and managing analytical problem-solving efforts, including logical, structured thinking, quickly able to consider new approaches that fit within general policies and short-term goals.
- Cross-functional, multi-project management
- Statistical and Analytical- Solid organizational skills, strong analytical ability, and ability to develop and interpret operating metrics and financial data.
- Experience in applying statistics to business processes.
- Relationships and Influence – Develops and maintains high-quality relationships; establish formal and informal networks to accomplish goals.