MPB Careers: Target – Associate Designer, Wild Fable
job id: r0000115800
job family: creative design
schedule: full time
location: 33 s 6th st, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers
At the heart of one of the world’s best-loved and most recognizable brands is an impeccable Owned (private) Brand Management & Product Design organization. We thrive on the magic of discovering that just-right thing, and we infuse everything we do with our passion for affordable style. We concept, design, make and deliver the style relevant new favorites that Target guests expect and deserve. We are trend, style, and cultural relevance experts who stay ahead of the curve, proactively identifying our market’s needs and exceeding them. Join one of our dynamic and inventive teams to influence the style, quality and value that decisively position Target above the competition. Here, you’ll be close to the action of dreaming up and bringing to life the Target-owned brands that surprise and gratify guests, wherever and whenever they love to shop.
A role with the Design team means a big opportunity to start from scratch and create something truly original. Are you a design expert who can support your business by staying one step ahead of industry trends, new materials and techniques? Can you demonstrate the utmost attention to detail and create products that are unprecedented in the marketplace for their design and quality for the price? Then you’ll have success on our Design team who owns the design and development of all Target-owned brands, from accessories & apparel to home goods and beauty. In close partnership with our merchant and sourcing counterparts, you’ll drive brand cohesion and continuity, ensuring that our products meet the merchant line plans, enterprise strategies, price points and overall creative direction.
As Associate Designer: WILD FABLE-YOUNG CONTEMPORARY BRAND you will support Owned Brand categories that achieve overall product design strategy and merchant objectives. Under the direction of Design leadership, you will work with an assigned category, brand, business or guest segment and manage your own process and calendar. These categories include BUT are not limited to; Sportswear, Outerwear, Sweaters, and Denim. You will be expected to maintain a diligent approach to workload, which includes timely communication with internal and external partners. You’ll support the end-to-end design vision throughout the development process including category trend, color, artwork direction, research, material sourcing & selection, silhouette design, cost engineering and guest research. Using CADs, you’ll translate ideas for product direction into Illustrator and own communication with the vendor, merchant and sourcing partners including production packets, spec templates and fit evaluations. This work includes preparing professional presentation boards with illustrations, created CAD artwork, fabrication/stitch detail and material samples. In addition, you will support product designs to maintain overall creative direction, merchant line plans, assortment strategies, and price points. You’ll support brand cohesion by partnering with peers across the division and you’ll collaborate with our vendors, overseas partners & sourcing to troubleshoot and resolve product issues. We strive to create a diverse, dynamic, and inclusive culture at Target, where everyone feels safe, valued and they belong.
Use your skills & experience to be a part of our visionary goals.
- support the design & technical process throughout the lifecycle of a product
- support Brand standards by category
- continuous Market/ Trend research/ Innovation to support category growth & dominance & inclusive approach to reaching a broad range of Guests
- support development of products based on the brand principles and seasonal concept vision
- support seasonal material development, build on material/process experience to drive sustainability, innovation in yarn & fabric development
- prepare development packets and participate in all communication and follow up related to each packet in support of the team
- collaborate with design, merchant, sourcing & vendor partners to ensure assortments are cost viable, manufacture-able and brand appropriate
- maintain adherence to process & calendar
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- Four-year degree or equivalent work experience
- 1-2 years of apparel design experience
- excellent design & sketching skills
- strong organizational skills & ability to manage multiple tasks
- strong trend + gen z culture research capabilities/insights
- strong collaboration skills to effectively work across multiple levels & functions
- excellent written & verbal communication skills
- is highly accountable to workload, deadlines
- positive attitude + self-directed
- entrepreneurial spirit + nimble acumen
- Computer design system skills: Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign with experience in CAD illustration
- Interest & passion for exploring and applying circular & sustainable design practices
- Proficient knowledge of 3D design development
- Experience assimilating product feedback