Posted Date: Dec- 1-2020
Job ID: 17752
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Greater Seattle Area
What’s cool about this job
- Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Pipeline to our users: Manage recruitment and on-going updates to employee and consumer panels. This role will manage a user database of profiles used by cross-functional teams.
- In-field research and testing: This role will plan, coordinate, and guide practical research & testing activities. This can be through end-users who field test independently, experiential feedback sessions, guided trips (e.g., day trip, overnight 1-3 days), all with intended outdoor use (both activities and conditions). The researcher may be responsible for the oversight and safety of up to 12 people, often within a wilderness context. This may or may not include coordinating interstate travel to other REI markets within the US.
- Other Research & Insights This role will support and lead research efforts through user recruitment;, collaboration with other Product Design Researchers, Sr. Manager, and cross-functional product team members; creation of customized research plans and strategies, execution, and research.
- Research Tools & Methodologies: This role will support research methodology efforts by helping to create and catalog research tools that will be easy for product teams to use without support.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 3+ years’ experience in the product / retail design or field research, or related field
- Ability to support and co-create research plans that support product teams across Co-op Brands
- Demonstrates an understanding of high-quality design, a basic understanding of the product development process.
- Ability to efficiently synthesize and communicate complex information to teams, i.e., strong interpretive, verbal, written, and story-telling techniques to communicate consumer insights and needs.
- Ability to advocate for the consumer throughout the design process
- Ability to work across multi-disciplinary teams seamlessly: people-oriented, passionate, enthusiastic, insightful, intelligent, committed, positive, engaged.
- An unrelenting focus on and commitment to current and potential REI member and consumer
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one’s own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one’s viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change, and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the “100 Best Places to Work” list since the award’s inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard, and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer