SAN FRANCISCO, CA / GROCERY / FULL-TIME
Imperfect Foods was founded in 2015 with a mission to reduce food waste and build a better food system for everyone. We offer imperfect (yet delicious) produce, affordable pantry items, and quality meat and dairy. We deliver them conveniently to our customers’ doorsteps and pride ourselves on offering up to a 30% discount compared to grocery store prices. Our customers can get the healthy, seasonal produce they want alongside the grocery staples they rely on, without having to compromise their budget or values. We’re proving that doing the right thing for the planet doesn’t have to cost more, and that shopping for quality ingredients can support the people and resources that it takes to grow our favorite foods.
We’re headquartered in San Francisco with operations all over the country. Check our website to see if there is an Imperfect near you!
We’re looking for folks who are positive, motivated, and ready to change the world. If that sounds like you, drop us a line!
How we are protecting employees from COVID-19
At Imperfect Foods, employee health and safety is our top priority. We have implemented processes and precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our facilities. We provide gloves, masks, and hand sanitizer to all essential employees who must report to work. Before entering our warehouse, employees have their temperatures checked. In addition, we take great care to ensure frequently touched surfaces are sanitized throughout the day and all warehouses are fully sanitized weekly.
We have also implemented an Emergency Sick Leave policy providing full-time and part-time employees 2 additional weeks of paid time off and up to 26 weeks paid leave if they have a confirmed case of COVID-19.
About the Role:
Primary focus is to provide effective leadership and technical “know-how” to enable the Category function to deliver excellence in new product innovation and private label penetration, convert existing branded products into private label and lead recyclable and sustainable packaging initiatives.
The Head of Private Brand and Product Development is responsible for deeply understanding emerging market/food trends, technologies in food, and application of new food technologies to our products and processes. The role is central to commercializing new products and product improvements from concept to scale in plant. This dynamic individual manages a team of product developers and will lead company innovation actions to create a product portfolio to meet our strategic plan of 80% private labeled goods for sale to our consumers. Private label will also influence our marketing and branding strategies. Position reports to the VP of Merchandising.
- Own the company’s private label penetration targets to meet strategic goals
- Eliminate lost revenue by ensuring our assortment is represented with major food trends and technology
- Leverage and act on consumer trends to develop impactful new products that deliver a superior point of difference/flavor advantage
- Monitor technical trends in food, flavor and packaging in order to determine private label “me too” opportunities and anticipate consumers’ desires for these products
- Demonstrate expertise in food science/product safety techniques and methodologies to bring innovative products to life
- Future focused “catalyst for the organization” seeking new ways to enhance current products and introduce new concepts to the organization
- Provide technical insight to inform our strategic and annual business planning process specific to new product breakthroughs
- OKRs tied to departmental goals and tracked
- Cultivate a robust and active pipeline of innovation identifying new concepts for products and technologies through consumer research/insights, technology, and marketing
- Oversee stage gate process of pipeline innovation and effectively manage timely delivery of profitable new products and projects
- Effectively report progress via identification and implementation of new reporting tools to accelerate performance through planning, cadence and action
- Create a nimble sensory research/expert panel process to approve taste and product
- Lead grocery team by elevating private label competency, centered on creativity/inspired flavors, good process and project management/delivery to expectation
Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience forming collaborative working processes with Brand Management, Marketing and Merchandising teams, while ensuring seamless workflows
- Experience working on projects with a focus on “speed to market”
- Expertise in food science/ product safety
- Experience working with private label products
- Exceptional vision and tactical know-how
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience
- Proficient with Excel, Google Suite and Asana
- You have a strong understanding and passion for emerging market/food trends
- You have experience commercializing new products and product improvements
- You challenge the status quo through thoughtful and fact-based solutions
- You are committed to communicate, promote and support the company vision and values, and model the expected behaviors
- You possess an inquisitive mind, challenging norms and seeking break-through solutions
- You’re passionate about our mission to eliminate food waste and create a better food system for all
Details of Position:
- Full-time/ exempt position reporting to the Vice President of Merchandising
- Based out of our San Francisco office
- Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package including health care, paid vacation, 401K, paid parental leave, and recurring credit towards your Imperfect account!
- Sedentary work; involves sitting most of the time
- Occasional movement around the office may be necessary
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses, and screens
- Standing desks and / or other ergonomic accommodation is available upon request
- Regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets
- Domestic travel as necessary
Individuals seeking employment at Imperfect Foods are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
U.S. E-Verify Notice: Imperfect Foods participates in E-Verify in the United States. Imperfect will provide the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.