Headquartered in Westborough, Massachusetts, BJ’s Wholesale Club is a leading operator of membership warehouse clubs in the Eastern United States. The company currently operates more than 215 clubs, 145 BJ’s Gas locations, and 3 distribution centers in 17 states. BJ’s is a Fortune 500 company and was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Become an integral member of the BJ’s Wholesale Club team, where we help our Members stock up for less in a convenient one-stop-shop.
Join a team of more than 25,000 team members, comprised of our home office and over 215 clubs and 3 distribution centers in 17 states. We’re committed to delivering value and convenience to our Members, helping them save every day on everything they need for their family and home. BJ’s Wholesale Club offers a collaborative, team-oriented environment where all team members can learn, grow and excel.
The Procurement Category Manager – Merchandise develops winning sourcing strategies and execution plans to drive total cost reduction throughout the BJ’s organization. They will lead cross-functional teams through the strategic sourcing process to ensure each project is considered a success by all stakeholders. They perform research and analysis to identify and capitalize on opportunities in order to achieve or exceed savings goals. They will lead negotiations on assigned sourcing projects with the Merchandising division ensuring all aspects of BJ’s interests are represented. They partner with the CPI and Merchant teams in order to support them with sourcing strategy and commodity analytics. They collaborate with the commodity management team in order to ensure optimal deal structures and opportune timing of bids. They will become a trusted advisor to the merchant team you are assigned to support. This can be accomplished by becoming knowledgeable about their categories and providing them will valuable insight that improves margin and/ or topline sales growth. Responsibilities include:
- Manage the strategic sourcing of nearly $500 million in Merchandise
- Identify opportunities to drive total cost savings through research and analysis, engaging the end-users, and direction from the leadership team. Establish benchmarks in order to quantify savings. Develop a procurement plan and timeline to set expectations and ensure everyone is operating on the same schedule. Partner with the technical experts to develop specifications, SOWs, and scorecards. Perform research utilizing market intelligence and other tools to develop a list of potential vendors.
- Create RFX documents to communicate specifications and procurement practices to the selected vendors. Capture responses and evaluate to determine which vendors will be eliminated from the process. Hold cross-functional meetings with each of the remaining vendors in order to evaluate their technical abilities utilizing scorecards. Eliminate vendors deemed unacceptable.
- Conduct multiple rounds of negotiations with the remaining vendors in order to achieve the best total cost. Perform the final scorecard review and award the business to the vendor with the highest score.
- Lead the contract negotiations with the selected vendor ensuring all negotiated items are included and that all of BJ’s interested are represented in the finished contract, including service levels and success criteria. Quantify savings based on benchmarks and final pricing. Transition vendor management responsibilities to the business unit.
- BA/BS in a business-related field
- 5-8 years in an active negotiation role
- Outstanding technical skills (PC, Excel, Word, Access, E-Sourcing software, basic Financial Accounting).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of total costs associated with procurement. Ability to identify and negotiate based on the total cost. Ability to formulate a strategic and effective negotiation and develop and implement effective Requests for Quote/Proposal/Information.
- Ability to cultivate good vendor relations
- Financial and business acumen
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to multi-task
- Process, organizational procedures and policy knowledge