Late last week CNN published the investigative report “Dozens of Amazon’s own products have been reported as dangerous — melting, exploding or even bursting into flames. Many are still on the market” revealing possible safety issues with Amazon’s private brand AmazonBasics products. According to the article since 2016, more than 1,500 reviews of 70 AmazonBasics products have included mentions of electrical malfunctions involving explosion, fire, smoking, or melting. Products included microwaves, charging cords, and surge protectors.

The reviews represent a small fraction of the products purchased, and fires caused by consumer electronics are not unique to Amazon’s private brands. User error can also be a factor, as can faulty or aging wiring within a home or a defective device being used with the product.

Read the full report.